May I congratulate you on your appeal to the Government to improve
roadsignage in Ireland - something as you can see from my website,
that I have been doing for years sadly to little or no avail.
As you quite rightly indicated in the case of the M50 extension,
simple basic stupid mistakes are being repeated again and again even
with new signposting. Although I haven't seen it myself, I am
informed by my brother recently returning to London after a holiday
home that the signs off the M50 for Dun Laoighre port are appalingly
Even if some of my suggestions were implemented I believe it would
make a huge difference.
Things such as
1. Central control and implementation of signposting nationwide under
2. One or a number of "signposting" inspectors
3. An effortless and centralised way for locals and tourists to report
signposting inaccurecies either incorrectly installed signs or
signposts that have been altered.
4. Publication of a standard for signposting in the country.
5. A move away from such bitty initiaves such as the piecemeal effort
of concentrating on individual counties as announced by Pat the Cope
Gallagher a couple of years ago.
This site is maintained and updated by
Last Updated 16 Aug 2005
© Peter Jordan, 1999-2005